Don Mathis is the CEO and Co-Founder of Kinetic Social, a social data technology company he has led from its 2011 launch through its emergence as a clear leader in the industry today. In addition, Don provides cybersecurity consulting services, with a specialty in cyber fraud detection and forensic analysis, to law enforcement agencies and private firms.
Don is also a Naval Officer with active and reserve experience, where he is the presently the Commanding Officer of a selectively staffed joint-service reserve combat logistics unit. His specialties/qualifications include Expeditionary Combat Logistics, Anti-Terrorism (including cyber and physical force protection), Communications/Intelligence, and Naval Aviation – Don began his military career as an anti-submarine warfare squadron Flight Communications Officer where he was responsible for airborne crypto operations. Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmentalized Information (TS/SCI) Department of Defense (DoD) security clearance held.
Technology Entrepreneurship / General Management
Don’s latest company, Kinetic Social, was created around the core mission of making sense of the world’s ‘social signal’. Kinetic analyzes social context data, aggregated from a wide universe of digital sources, enabling deep insights and predictive modeling to yield the most effective solutions for its major brand clients. The company’s patent-pending statistical optimization engine provides a unique and scalable approach to social media cross-platform effectiveness.
Previously, Don served as the CEO of Epic Advertising from 2008 to 2010, an ad network backed by TA Associates and Stripes Group. Under Don’s leadership, Epic grew from $65 million to $200 million in annual revenue before being merged with Connexus Corporation (Oak Capital Partners, Insight Venture Partners and Idealab). Earlier, Don was Chief Operating Officer of the online fantasy sports company Small World Sports (Flatiron Partners, Chase Capital Partners and NBC). During his tenure as COO, he oversaw the development of Small World’s sites into the top rank of all web properties, and helped sell the company to The Sporting News (Paul Allen’s Vulcan Ventures). Don also has experience with McKinsey & Company and the turnaround firm AlixPartners.
Don’s cybersecurity experience is rooted in both his military background and in his civilian work in technology, where he started his career as a software engineer and a network systems analyst. Also relevant, Don has experience in forensic accounting and federal Inspector General auditing.
In 2005, Don was hired to be the chief compliance officer as part of his duties as Senior Vice President for Technology at a major performance ad network (Epic Advertising, see above; Don later became COO, then CEO, of Epic before it was merged into Connexus Corporation in 2010). His responsibilities included designing and implementing systems for fraud detection and regulatory compliance, and eventually led him to found a separate business unit specializing in online investigations, brand protection and internet traffic forensic services. Specific approaches were developed for detecting fraud in a number of areas of online advertising, including: the use of malware; credit card fraud; spam; phishing attacks; virus writers; trademark infringement/piracy; and other fraudulent, deceptive and illegal digital practices. Don worked with Harvard Professor Ben Edelman for much of the early development of this practice, and also brought on board a former Cyber and Counter terrorism Special Agent for the FBI as well as the lead cyber investigator of the Florida Attorney General’s Office.
Today, Don provides cybersecurity consulting services from time to time, with clients including law enforcement and private firms.
* * *
Don graduated with honors from Harvard Business School (MBA), where he was a principal organizer of the Harvard University Leadership & Ethics Forum. He received his BA with honors from Vassar College (Asian Studies), where he was awarded the S. H. Chen Zen prize for Best Thesis.
Don is a member of the Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO), New York Chapter. He has served on the boards of private companies Unified Media, Affinity Labs and Mystic Entertainment Corporation. He has also served on the not-for-profit boards of the educational organization Roads To Success, the non-partisan public policy group Third Millennium, and the documentary film company Magellan Productions. Don’s other community service experience includes having worked with the independent democracy watchdog organization Freedom House.
Don’s Navy service includes mobilization in support of Operation Noble Eagle to Ground Zero after 9/11 on a Search & Recovery team, immediately following which he served as the Executive Officer of an anti-terrorism joint task force in Manhattan and as Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection Officer for the commissioning of the USS Bulkeley (also in NY). Later, Don was deployed to the Middle East where he was designated Deputy Group Commander for three Navy expeditionary air combat logistics units deployed in Central Command in support of Operation Enduring Freedom; and again to stand up a Forward Logistics Site in theater, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. His experience includes service with the United Nations in Cambodia and in Bosnia. Don was recently awarded the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, the third-highest award bestowed by the U.S. Department of Defense.
Don holds a Commercial Pilot’s license with multi-engine and instrument ratings. He is married with two children.
Don Mathis In The News
- Funded in the Alley: Kinetic Social Raises $18M, Proving Context is Everything
- Kinetic Social Raises $18 Million Series B Financing
- The Vision Thing
- Twitter Rebrands Marketing Platform to Highlight Partners
- Introducing Kinetic Conversations
- Content Marketing Hot Trends
- INSIGHT: 6 Marketing Start-ups In Social Media
- TWITTER: Introducing the Marketing Platform Program
- Kinetic Social Achieves Twitter ADS API Partner Status
- Kinetic Social Launches R&D Lab in Toronto
- Kinetic Company Blog
- Kinetic Social Names Michelle Schiano as Head of Marketing
- Don Mathis, Kinetic CEO, to Speak at the 15th Annual Pacific Crest Global Technology Leadership Forum in Vail, CO
- By Don Mathis: Beyond the Big Three Social Networks | AdExchanger
- Blue Chip’s NYC deals bring companies to Cincinnati
- Kinetic Raises $8 Million For Ad Optimization Across Social Media | AdExchanger
- Facebook Partners React As PMD Program Is Rejiggered | AdExchanger
- Facebook Confirms PMD Changes, Puts Paid Media At The Center | AdExchanger
- Atlas, At Last. Facebook Ad Chief Gokul Rajaram Speaks | AdExchanger
- Facebook Is Culling The Herd Of Low Quality Ad Partners It Created – Business Insider
- Facebook Partners React As PMD Program Is Rejiggered
- MEDIA ALERT: Don Mathis, Kinetic Social CEO, to Present at the 2013 Piper Jaffray TMT Conference
- Industry Execs Mull Impact of Facebook Ad Network | ClickZ
- OMMA Social Panel: What if Facebook Launches an Online Ad Network? – YouTube
- Think Smaller: Marketers Zero In On Microtargeting
- AdExchanger: News and Views on Data-Driven Digital Advertising
- Kinetic Social Hires Agency Veteran and Social Media Expert Carree Syrek – Entertainment News – redOrbit
- Kinetic Social Achieves Stellar Growth in 2011, Is Awarded Patent Pending Status on Core Technology Engine | Business Wire
- Don Mathis, Kinetic Social CEO: iMediaConnection.com
- Kinetic Social Hires WPP-Mindshare Veteran — NEW YORK, Dec. 22, 2011 /PRNewswire/
- Interview with Don Mathis, CEO of Epic Advertising – New York …
- Advertisers Taking A More Audience-centric Approach Says Epic …
- How to market more efficiently (and battle the stigma of online advertising) | SmartPlanet
- BEST COMPANY 2009 | Crain’s New York Business
- The 2009 Top American Business Awards: Epic Advertising
- BMO Capital Markets Yields More Thoughts On Google Demand-Side Platform Plans
- Connexus Corp Raises $41.8M to Help Fund Merger of Epic Advertising – cbl | New York Citybizlist
- Epic-Connexus Merger Exhibits the Power of Scale
- Epic Advertising and Connexus Corporation Finalize Merger — LOS ANGELES and NEW YORK, May 18 /PRNewswire/
- Epic Advertising’s Online Intelligence Announces Fraud Prevention Tools – Entertainment News – redOrbit
- Don Mathis – Affiliate Summit
- More On Don Mathis
- Key Trends in Performance Marketing – YouTube
- Ad:tech SF 2008 – Epic Advertising Interview – YouTube
- Behind-the-Scenes Innovations in Behavioral Targeting | ClickZ
- Mark Jung To Serve As Epic Advertising’s Board Chairman | Web Marketing content from Chief Marketer
- Mark Jung Joins Epic Advertising as Chairman | Finance — paidContent
- Epic Advertising Names Don Mathis as CEO | Ad Operations Online
- Epic Marketplace and RingRevenue Partner | PayPerCall | Call Tracking
- Ad:tech SF 2008 – Epic Advertising Interview | Search Engines
- Jobdot » News of the Day
- Epic Hires Cyber Fraud Inspectors | ClickZ
- Don’t trick users: 4 tips – iMediaConnection.com
- Keystone Tech Group – News
- AzoogleAds CEO Don Mathis Comes on the ShoeMoney Show …
- Azoogle Continues Adware Crackdown
- Advertisers may face public humiliation over adware – CNET News
- Execs & Accounts for December 16, 2005 | ClickZ
- McKinsey Alum Don Mathis Named New CEO of Epic Advertising
- Industry Moves: Glam; Grandparents.com; Microsoft; Epic; Siegel+Gale; Peer39; Avenue A-Razorfish — paidContent